Current Status

Current Status: Success! Ride completed Monday, July 3, 2017 - Stage 38: Velo-Vini-Vidi-Vici Victory Ride! - from Calistoga, CA to San Francisco, CA - 115 miles

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Stage 2 Report: GA Scorcher

Sunday, May 28, 2017
Start: Swainsboro, GA
End: Madison, GA
Bike Mileage: 117.6 mi
Cumulative Bike Mileage: 221.1 miles

Awoke on the morning of stage 2 wondering how recovery would be after our first century ride (over 100 mi in cycling terms) in quite awhile. I had some thigh cramping just near the finish the day prior but the night's sleep and deep tissue massaging seemed to have fixed that concern. Felt great as we headed out at 07:30am to begin Stage 2.

A little early morning adrenaline excitement as we were chased by a yard Pitbull for about 100 yards around mile 4. Not something we aren't familiar with previously from training rides back home in the GA mountains but still a source of concern periodically in unfamiliar countryside.

We turned north onto Kite Rd/Rt 57W while enjoying a slightly cooler morning with an overcast sky; at town-Kite we turned onto Montgomery St, then Gumlog Rd, a very scenic byway of farms, cattle, goats, horses, etc. "Good morning cows," I shouted as some more enlightened ones responded kindly with a staring glance and tail wag. On to Wrightsville, turned R onto Rt 15N, to Tennille, past an old barn with a University of GA mascot logo and the words: Effort-Discipline-Toughness painted in UGA red boldly on the white siding. On to Sandersville (mi50) where we stopped for lunch, met up with our van driver, Patrick Weigand and his son Jacob, at Chester Dean's on E Haynes St; great Southern All You Can Eat (AYCE) Buffet. Some items not usually on my palette's radar but we enjoyed a well-balanced meal, maybe too much. Loaded up on mashed potatoes, salad, green beans, collards and black eyed beans. Have to admit that living in GA these past 15 yrs of my life has invited a certain taste in regional favorites, at least while traveling.

Nice little break in Sandersville but a lot more miles ahead. We continued north along Rt 15 to the town of Sparta (mi75), sadly an area whose Main St has gone bust, poverty abounding. But a, magnificent and proud court house remains as the town and county's jewel. Sparta marks the transition zone of GA's geologic coastal plains as we departed and started climbing the Piedmont region taking us home to the Atlanta area. Elevation gaining in the cauldron of the afternoon subn. GA remaining in a serious late spring heat wave into the high 90's.

We veered westward from Sparta onto Rt16/Sparta Hwy, as the rollers and climbing began. Road quality was poor but we got to our first crossing of Lake Oconee at about mi80; then began a continued unrelenting series of PUDS (persistent ups and downs; in this case only brief downward reprieves as we climbed the Piedmont plateau for about 15-20 mi ahead in searing "GA Scorcher" unrelenting heat. Was about 2-4 pm during this period, temps over 90 deg and quite humid. I just about bonked from heat exhaustion. Mike pulled me up and over these PUDS. Thanks man! Reached an "oasis" gas station. Needed some rest, we were hungry and dehydrated. Tanked up on chocolate milk and a large icy Coca Cola (shout out to Barry- friend & neighbor who works for Coke, I rarelt drink it back home but this stuff works quickly to restore fluids and energy), banana and sandwich; after about 30 min we continued onward hoping the PUDS were largely behind us. I decided to turn on my Spotify App with great playlist (thank you to my son Jonah for great song downloads). With Eye of the Tiger randomly selected I suddenly had an energy surge and shot out of the rest area a new man (I remind myself to remember to take these breaks for they are essential to rehydrate and refuel our energy reserves). I just felt great, fresh legs as if I hadn't even biked yet today. Thanks again to Mike who pulled me earlier up those PUDS. Was my turn to lead us through the remaining 30mile section for the day; I raced ahead then waited for Mike as we turned R onto Old Phoenix Rd, which became Harmony Rd; mostly low rolling hills and flat straightaways for many country miles; we crossed over Lake Oconee at a few more fingers and finished strong at the country town of Buckhead (mi117.6). Patrick was waiting for us. We shuttled a few miles to our Days Inn hotel in Madison. Showered and headed to town, restaurants all closed along the scenic antebellum historic downtown aerea. Drove nearby to Dos Amigos for delicious and filling Mexican.

Two consecutive century rides! A first for us! I can sense we are getting stronger and tougher - physically and mentally. Mike earned a new nickname today - Buffalo! - for pulling me up the hills in the afternoon heat. It suits his gruff and tough personality anyway and Buffalo turn out to be his favorite beast. And so it is! Buffalo was careful managing his blood sugar levels today in the heat. He has Type I Diabetes and wears an insulin pump. He's learned that if he sips on diluted Coca Cola his sugar levels while riding remain in the "sweet spot," meaning under better control. His teeth may rot but that's another matter.

A note to change my cycle wear each day at the lunch hour. The sweating and use of cool water on my head and down my back lead to a wet/damp chamois pad inside my bib shorts-perfect storm for chaffing and inflammation. I was developing a nasty folliculitis on my bum. Stopped at a Walmart to pick up Desitin diaper cream and some non-stick pads to use tomorrow for protection and wound healing. Hope it will help.

Another note-Buffalo has been using insulated water bottles. I have the cheap bike store variety. I was amazed how effective they were to keep his water super cool for hours after refilling in rest areas despite the heat. Ice cubes still jostling around even in 90+ degree temps. I will pick up a pair when we return home to Atlanta tomorrow as well as a few new pair of better quality cycling bibs. The ones I've started with are stretched out and the chamois inside are just too worn from use. I'm realizing this is a long haul to San Francisco. Need to be better prepared.

Overall the ride lived up to its GA Scorcher appellation, that's for sure!

Stage 2 Bikeoo

Wheels spin 'long byways
Through barns and fields, sharing space
Eyes shut... I return

Stage 2 Indexes


Weather: (5)
Cooler overcast morning, then afternoon scorching!

Terrain: (7)
First real climbing of the trip. Good for the legs.

Scenic: (7)
Mostly enjoyable country roads/picturesque farmland (if you say hi to cows they wag their tails! Try it.)

Wildlife and Roadkill: (7.5)
W-Brown Hawks, usually in pairs - we bonded; Turkey Vultures, songbirds chasing alongside us, pheasants (might have been peacocks since some roads had the peacock name where I spotted them)

R-more Armadillo, a number of what I think are Turkey Vultures-see roadkill photo, opossum, skunk, crow, snakes, turtles, deer

Endurance: (8.5)
Finished really strong the last 25-30mi today after recovering from the PUDS. Builds confidence for the long haul. No cramping today.

Bike: (10)
I fixed my odometer issue in the morning before heading out and changed the sensor battery. great to have that back in working order as my iPhone stage mapping and Maps App are critical to align with my odometer.

Still Having Fun: (10)
I tend to laugh when enjoying a great ride and even when suffering a bit. Endorphin highs were flowing today!

Poor Armadillo. Too many sites like these.

Good advice to all you current and future Bulldogs! (Eliza & Abigail!)



Help me name this bird-quite a few roadkills.

Shady pull-off into a nice yard to cool down from the scorching heat.

Sparta - Hancock County Courthouse, a beauty!

Really scenic barn near Lake Oconee

Crossing Lake Oconee and a view of the PUDS ahead

Mexican dinner plates - Patrick, Mike, and David. Good refuel chow!







1 comment: