Current Status

Current Status: Success! Ride completed Monday, July 3, 2017 - Stage 38: Velo-Vini-Vidi-Vici Victory Ride! - from Calistoga, CA to San Francisco, CA - 115 miles

Thursday, June 15, 2017

Stage 20 Report: Rocky Mountain High


Thursday, June 15, 2017
Start: Estes Park, CO
Finish: YMCA of the Rockies, near Granby, CO
Total Bike Mileage: 76.8 mi
Cumulative Bike Mileage: 1561.7 mi

Usual preparations this morning. The tension had not yet evaporated from the still of emotions to be confronted by the climbing task which awaited us.

Some bread and yogurt and fruit for breakfast, cycles cleaned and lubricated, we set off from the hotel and Estes Park. A pleasant clear sky morning as we spun along W Wonderview Ave/Rt34, which became Fall River Rd; following the beautiful river flowing against our trajectory, coolness past cottages and cabins that dotted its banks and hillsides. Past the fish hatchery. The stone jutted cliffs rose steeply to the occasion as we entered the gates of Rocky Mountain National Park. It would be a twenty mile climb to the apex of our day.

Beautiful green valleys with gurgling streams invited us into the park grounds. Ascension began with a series of switchbacks up the mountainside, gaining altitude steadily through pristine forest.

My mood was one of solitude and reflection rather than friendship and comraderie. I just needed some time and space for myself today. A hangover of emotions and ennui and memories coursing through my mind. Nature's beauty would be my salve today. That and my own need to conquer a mountain to uplift my confidence and determination.

I separated from Buffalo and Sherpa early into the initial switchback climbs along Trail Ridge Rd. Past Rainbow Curve and Forest Canyon, steadily advancing upwards, views of grandeur of distant mountains and valleys beyond compare. Tears and joy intermixed today in my catharsis. My heart was strong and my legs wanted to push forward, to separate from anyone and everything. Just me and the mountain today. And so onward and upward, through beautiful vanilla Aspen groves, checkpoints along the way signaled ever closer to the summit. Tundra arrived as the tree line receded. Past Rock Cut and Iceberg Pass, thick crusted snow drifts beside me, temperature cooling markedly and winds howling and battling once again. Not today Zephyrus! I will defeat you boldly if you even attempt to sway my ambitions. Like my namesake, King David of the ancient Israelites, my shield of resiliency and determination was my strength to overcome any obstacle in my path. The ancient cauldron of the Lava Cliffs stood stoically at the entrance to the final climb. Once burning from the core of the earth the mineraled jutting rock face strengthened my own core resolve. Cleats pressing into hardened pedals, bike and biker summited as one. Elevation 12,183 feet above sea level. I had past the great Continental Divide of this mighty range.l and passed this cyclist's first major biking test. The climbs through the rabid dog chases through Alabama and Mississippi, the climbs through the Arkansas Ouachita Mountains, the Nebraska Sandhills winds - all had prepared us well for the Rockies climbs.

This mountain in this park yielded to my still youthful strength today. The deed was done. I could laugh again now. I could move on to the other side. I felt reenergized and emboldened but suddenly felt alone and longed for the comraderie of my friends to share the victory. Solitude needed to end. Buffalo and Sherpa were not far behind. They too summited and we celebrated our victory at the Alpine Visitor Center. Coffee and hot chocolate with heavy whipped cream. I was a child reborn. Refreshed. Filled now with happiness and laughter again. This David was 'King of the Mountain' today. And I realized I needed that pat on the back, not to gloat, but to emerge as a more compassionate leader who better understands the human emotional aspects of all our lives.

When I was a child I could remember running downhill through summer camp grassy sloped fields. Perhaps it was down the hill to a lake or playground. If you were in a hurry then even better to air out the youthful legs of summer. The cool winds in my face, wet grass against my calves, I would race the meadow and be happy. As a cyclist the same rapture exists for me from the sweet raw energy and edginess that arrives from a winding mountain road descent. Geared up to the max, I ignite the turbo-charged mitochondrial ignition switch in my quads and hamstrings and calves. A voice in my head times the process just right as the pitch in the road descends. I call out to my mind, "Engage." Rocket ship sore! Pumping pistons on either side of my bike frame exert downward gravitational and centripetal forces as I lean my torso rightward and leftward into every curve, breaking only if the road demands it as the meadow and morning dew of my childhood returns anew. Acceleration multiplied by my physical mass equals force and raw power as my adrenaline-fueled "turbones" discharge their storage pools and vault me forward and down the conquered mountain.

Horses? No, a herd of Elk greet us in the pristine stream-laced meadow towards the end of our descent to the valley floor.  We stop to regroup. Blaze Brothers reunited. Remove cold-weather gear in the warming sunshine. Continuing through the valley of snow covered mountains in our midst, John Denver's mystical song, "Rocky Mountain  High," finds kinship in my ears:

"Now he walks in quiet solitude the forest and the streams
Seeking grace in every step he takes
His sight has turned inside himself to try and understand
The serenity of a clear blue mountain lake
Rocky Mountain high, Colorado"

We coast downhill to exit the park at the town of Grand Lake. We take a short hike to visit Adams Falls, its icy waters scrambling powerfully down the mountain scape towards the blue lake below. Return to town for Mexican lunch beside the lake. Then cycle onward along Rt34 past massive Grand Lake and then past sister Lake Granby as we then head southward and eastward along Rt40 through the town of Granby to finally arrive at our evening destination, YMCA of the Rockies/Snow Mountain Ranch. Refreshed and Spring-bear hungry I thoroughly enjoy a cafeteria-style heaping plate of pasta and rice and salad and catfish. The chocolate pudding would wait briefly but be devoured soon enough as I enjoyed the breathtaking view of the snow-covered mountains from the room balcony.

We toasted our day's achievement crossing the Continental Divide, a milestone to be repeated by other climbs in the days ahead. Sherpa was honored by receiving his own colorful Blaze Across America custom jacket. And Peter, ever mindful of our needs, we thank you for your kind efforts on this journey! The mood had shifted positively in our group. We could relax our guard. Tease and joke amiably. Gratitude for friendship and kinship in the lust for adventure among us.

Photos and Video


Indexes:


Weather: (10)

Terrain: (15)
Excellent roads through the park, enjoyable climbing due to scenery

Scenic: (15)
Pristine National Park, ecosystem changes with elevation, just a magnificent day

Endurance: (10)
Legs responded well to my power requests today

Wildlife and Roadkill:
W-Elk, Bighorn sheep, Marmot, colorful butterflies, water fowl at the lakes
R-raccoon upon departing Estes Park

Medical Report:
No concerns

Bike Report:
No concerns

Still Having Fun: (20)


No comments:

Post a Comment