Current Status

Current Status: Success! Ride completed Monday, July 3, 2017 - Stage 38: Velo-Vini-Vidi-Vici Victory Ride! - from Calistoga, CA to San Francisco, CA - 115 miles

Saturday, June 17, 2017

Stage 22 Report: Top of the World

Saturday, June 17, 2017
Start: Idaho Springs, CO
Finish: Dillon, CO
Total Bike Mileage: 37.8 mi
Cumulative Bike Mileage: 1650 mi

Awoke to another beautiful clear forever sky in the Rockies. We gathered our bags and drove to Bergen Park about 8mi east along I-70 at exit 247. Had a enjoyable french toast breakfast at Dandelion's Cafe near the put-in spot. Started cycling from the junction of Squaw Pass Rd and Evergreen Parkway (Rt74).

Immediately our gradual persistent thigh-tiring ascent began. Our goal for the day: to reach the pinnacle of the highest paved road in North America, the apex of Mt Evans standing tall at an elevation of 14,130ft. There are 56 mountains in CO over 14,000ft high (known among climbers as the "Fourteeners"). Yet only Mt Evans is accessible by a road. The 56 are separated by a mere total of about 400ft in elevation from 1-56 with Mt Elbert as the king at 14,433ft.

Why a road was built to Mt Evans Peak I do not know. Our lowlands climb passed a beautiful sloping green valley; one could see for mikes further east as I e hours the beauty of the morning.from my bike seat, the steady cadence of a continuous 4-5% graded climb  settling into my legs.

Elevation meant further views as we enter the Arapaho National Forest and past the Arapaho Springs Campground. Snow starting to line the roadway, Aspen trees giving way to only pine. Over Chief Mountain and then Warrior Mountain. Climb, climb, incessant climb. Legs tired. Breathing heavier.

We arrive at the Echo Lake Campground junction at about climbing mile 18. There is a gift shop/restaurant and campground. Snow, high winds, chilly. I am shivering and put on my North Face sister and Blaze jacket. A brief rest. The entrance to the Mt Evans Byway. About 14.5mi further to reach the apex. Where is my energy? I worry about the hot soak in Idaho Springs the night prior. Nutrition-bread with peanut butter and honey. Fluids.

We start our ascent of Mt Evans. 1mi later I am sweating profusely with too many layers on my torso. Sun gives a brief reprieve from the crisp air. I strip off the upper layers, Peter reprieves, and continue upwards around switchbacks with my Blaze Brothers. I am beginning the sense of exhaustion, the looming "bonk" of energy draining from my whole body. It is done. Mt Evans has won this battle. I turned off at the next parking area. Peter was there with the van. I cannot go on. "Go," I said to my brothers. "I need rest. Today is not my day." Vik and Mike continued. I sat despondent on the side bar of the van door. A few exhausted tears in my eyes. It is not easy to accept defeat.

A few minutes rest. I contemplate my situation. Fluids. Stand and try to enjoy the snow swept bowl of a mountain pass at the parking area. A sign. Mount Goliath, it says. You have reached Mount Goliath! I start laughing sardonically from my core. Goliath defeats David?! But that's not how the ancient Biblical story ends! Why here? Why at this cursed cold mountain of drudgery and wind-chilled exhaustion. Goliath, you cannot win this battle. It is not in the prophecy.

I rest and add layers of warmth. I leave my bike shoes on. Peter and I are now the support crew tracking Vik and Mike as they continue to ascend. The narrow road hangs by cliff edges. One mistake and death awaits bicyclist or car driver.

Tundra now, no trees. Marmot scurrying on the rocks. Pass mostly frozen Summit Lake where a family of hesitant mountain goats are seeking minerals near a rest area. Onward. 3miles of peak climbing remain. My Brothers are doing it, slowly but steadily. I want to try again. Goliath lingers in my mind. Perhaps it was only the final battle that history records between the future king and Philistine giant.

I exit the van, bike shoes still on my feet. Clipping into my peddles I ask for strength from the mountain creator. I join my Brothers with a surge forward. More switchbacks. Snow drifts high alongside. Views for hundreds of miles off the cliffs beside us. The nearby mountain peaks now below us. Switchback after switchback. Where is the top?

I see cars parked. Ever more narrow roadway. People scurrying up a pile of rocks and boulders. The apex is now in view. "Not today Goliath, not today!" as I slingshot up the final switchback. We reach the summit! Elation and joy and exhaustion, for certain. There will be no more climbing for today. Time for celebration. I feel pride for my Blaze Brothers for what they accomplished. I feel somewhat despondent for my earlier exhaustion. Today, I and the mountain struggled to a draw.

The pile of rocks extended another 50-100ft higher than the signage. We stood and took our memorable photos. The rocks, to me, signified the top of the world, the burdens of life lived all below them. Only sky and heavens above us. Hawk's spirit was soaring anew.

Late afternoon now. Danger lurks around every bend. We descend gingerly by van back to the Echo Lake junction. Awesome views of the Rockies and chasms along the way. A piece of blueberry pie awaits me at the junction restaurant. Hummingbirds taking sweet sugar from feeders. I purchase commemorative Mt Evans shot glasses for my Brothers to gift at dinner later that night. They accomplished a great and memorable feat.

Return to bikes. A 16mi fast descent of the mountain on Rt103. Early evening now. Sun low in the sky. Joy again. I fly down the mountain swishing switchbacks and planing straightaways. We collect just before the junction of I-70. Pack the van and head west on I-70 to the town of Dillon, CO to for spend the night at the Best Western hotel beside the beautiful lake. Pasta and salmon - vital carbs and protein. I smuggled in a bottle of Bourbon (I rarely drink alcohol). Present Mt Evans glasses  to Vik and Mike. Chai glasses for Peter and me. A toast to a successful and safe and very memorable day.

Photos


Indexes


Weather: (10)

Terrain: (8)
Almost constant climbing, good road

Scenic: (15)
Highest views from a mountaintop byway I may ever see

Endurance: (7)
Difficult end, stay away from Hot Springs when climbing mountains

Wildlife and Roadkill:
W-mountain goats, marmot, quail
R-none

Medical Report:
Fatigue, sore quads

Bike Report:
No concerns

Still Having Fun: (8)
Goliath stole a few points

1 comment:

  1. Keep on pushing!! Sending love and support from Jackson Hole--think you can take a detour and come visit? :) So proud of your grit, Iron Hands!! Keep those Snickers Handy. -Potatoes

    ReplyDelete